Saturday, September 13, 2008

Change of plans

So, yesterday I was at work when Jason's cell phone rang. It was his little sister calling to tell us she was in labor! I quickly finished all I could at work so I could go be with her at the hospital. When I got there, I walked into the room and saw not only my mother-, sister-in-law, and nephew, but also Jason's aunt, cousin and grandma. It was really fun getting to be there and tell funny stories. Heather progressed well through out the morning. She got her epidural when she was 3 cm (at about 4:30 in the morning) and was put on pitocin after the doctor broke her water at 7:45 in the morning. Her contractions starting getting pretty intenst and regular about 2 or so and the baby's heartbeat was being compromised so they took her off pitocin and let her body deal with labor naturally - a very smart move in my opinion! When they checked her again around 3pm, she was almost fully dialated! I had to leave to go give Jason the car shortly after that and he dropped me off back at the hospital around 4:15 or so. We were just kind of waiting to se what would happen next. While Heather was sleeping, I was chatting with Linda when Heather all the sudden sat up, looked at us with huge eyes and said "He's coming NOW!!" We looked at the monitors confused because they didn't say she was any closer, but Linda went to get the nurse. As she walked out of the room, the baby's heartrate shot up from 125 to 173 and then plumited to 35. The doctor came rushing in and said Heather was going to need an emergancy C-Section - a Heartbreaking announcement for everyone... but, of course, most of all to Heather. She had made it very clear the whole time that this was not the path she wanted! Once the baby was delivered, we found out that the cord had been wrapped around his little foot and wouldn't let him decend into the birth canal. Both mom and baby Austin are doing great! Heather did such an AWESOME job yesterday and even though did not have a successful natural childbirth, atleast she knows her body can do it next time - great job Heather!

No comments:

Throughout my late adolescense and adulthood, I have had many positions (professionally and volunteer basis) that have helped me develop skills necessary to serve as a liaison to the community on behalf of a professional organization. I have spent many years in various organizations which have helped me grow skills such as public speaking, note taking, and scheduling. I am proficient in organization and mediation – always keeping the mindset of finding middle ground and while meeting the needs of those involved. I excel in the area of community outreach and thrive in situations where I am given reign to be creative and managerial. I am committed to achieving the best outcome and feel I have many fantastic qualities to contribute to any organization.