Friday, July 29, 2011

Alright... let's talk about it

The Breast Milk Baby...

If you haven't heard, there is a new doll hitting the American markets in a few weeks. It comes with a halter top that your child wears that has flowers over the chest area symbolizing breasts. When the doll is brought to the flowers, it makes a sucking sound as if it is drinking milk. When the doll is brought upright, it cries until it is burped. It is marketed as a unisex toy and the American representative for the Spanish company who makes the dolls says the doll is meant to "let kids play as mommies and daddies naturally." Seeing that I've yet to find a man who lactates, I think perhaps they should alter their advertising...

Bill O'Reilly has said the doll is inappropriate for children stating he just wants the kids to remain kids. There is even a Facebook page of people who oppose the doll and are calling for a ban of the doll in the US.

There is also a lot of speculation about whether or not this doll will influence little girls to breastfeed their own children when the time comes. On the other hand, do babies sold with bottles influence little girls to formula feed their children? I highly doubt, as do many child psychologists and pediatricians, that dolls will influence how a girl chooses to raise her future children. I believe that dolls can send certain messages (Barbie... hello!!!) but I don't think this is going to make much of a difference. Many people don't even think the doll will catch on in the US.

Personally, I am not a fan. A woman's (girl's) body was made for having babies and breastfeeding but there has got to be a better way to teach this. As a mother who strives to nurse her own children for at least a year, I know the importance of breastfeeding. I advocate for nursing in public which is highly scrutinized these days. David knows where Ainzley's food comes from - he sees me nurse her 100 times a day. It is a natural thing and I hope to pass on my knowledge to my kids so they can make the best decision for themselves and for their children... I don't think the Breast Milk Baby will be a part of the learning process

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Not something I'm going to run out and buy, but let's get real. I've seen little girls "nurse" their baby dolls, stuffed animals, and anything else that they are using as their "babies".

One time my sister was letting her baby fuss while she finished up something and niece (different sister's daughter) said, "Aunt Mary, Hunter is hungry. Should I nurse him?" She (at almost age 3) knew what the baby needed and it was normal to her.

Like I said, the doll's not for our family, but I don't think it's any more inappropriate than a "Betsy Wetsy" doll.

Duree Family said...

Haha! Betsy wetsy! I remember those!! I agree in that i don't find them inappropriate as i've heard lots of stories of girls nursing baby dolls, i just think a specialized doll is a bit much, lol

Throughout my late adolescense and adulthood, I have had many positions (professionally and volunteer basis) that have helped me develop skills necessary to serve as a liaison to the community on behalf of a professional organization. I have spent many years in various organizations which have helped me grow skills such as public speaking, note taking, and scheduling. I am proficient in organization and mediation – always keeping the mindset of finding middle ground and while meeting the needs of those involved. I excel in the area of community outreach and thrive in situations where I am given reign to be creative and managerial. I am committed to achieving the best outcome and feel I have many fantastic qualities to contribute to any organization.