Monday, July 27, 2009

A New Level of Sympathy

Today was a looonnnngggg day - even that is an understatement. Jason had a 16 hour shift today which is typical of a Monday so I had David all day by myself. David woke up around 6:30, ate, and went back to bed. He woke up the second time around 8:30 with a huge bugger in his nose - I mean it was ginormous! Didn't you want to know all about my son's buggers? I thought so... Anyway, I fed him again and once again around 10:30... it was all downhill from there. Alex had been watching him for me and as I was walking back over to the couch, I could hear David having something like the hiccups and gasping. I got over there just in time for him to puke all over himself and my pillow. He's only puked like this once before and it was no big deal so I figured this would follow suit - wrong! As I was holding him 20 minutes later, he puked all over me. He threw up again 15 minutes later so I called the pediatrician. They told me to give him a teaspoon of Pedialyte every 15 minutes for an hour and if he kept that down, to bump it up to a tablespoon every 15 minutes for an hour. I could resume breastfeeding after he keeps fluids down for 4 hours. After he puked the fourth time, David was in bad shape. He had no color, his eyes were only opening half way, and he would barely stay awake for a couple minutes - I was so scared. I was trying the Pedialyte, but he wouldn't keep that down either. I called the doctor back and they wanted me to bring him to the hospital for IV fluids. I didn't want my 4 month old to have to have an IV needle, so I thought of other things to do. I let him sleep for awhile before starting over again with the Pedialyte. Then, in the midst of my tears, I knew David needed a blessing. Jason was in the middle of his 16 hours and his dad was in Nauvoo. I got the impression to call a member of the ward who lives just over a street. I looked up his work number and asked him if I could come over when he got home from work because David needed a blessing. He said he would be happy to. David woke up shortly after I got off the phone and already seemed to be improving. I went to the ward member's house and got a terrific blessing for David. As soon as we said Amen, David sighed, looked up at Brother Robertson and smiled - I started crying. I knew that my little man was feeling better and all because of the sweet blessing a worthy priesthood holder gave my son. I am so thankful for the priesthood and the men who are worthy to hold it. I am so grateful for the peace I feel knowing that when Jason is unavailable, I can call on someone for the things I need. David is still not 100%, but atleast he is able to be sleeping peacefully in his swing

1 comment:

Caryn Allen said...

Awww how scary! You poor thing. I'm glad David is feeling better!

Throughout my late adolescense and adulthood, I have had many positions (professionally and volunteer basis) that have helped me develop skills necessary to serve as a liaison to the community on behalf of a professional organization. I have spent many years in various organizations which have helped me grow skills such as public speaking, note taking, and scheduling. I am proficient in organization and mediation – always keeping the mindset of finding middle ground and while meeting the needs of those involved. I excel in the area of community outreach and thrive in situations where I am given reign to be creative and managerial. I am committed to achieving the best outcome and feel I have many fantastic qualities to contribute to any organization.